Trinity Missionary Baptist Church History

In 1885 in the city of Madisonville, Ohio, 12 miles from downtown Cincinnati, fifteen (15) men and women who loved the Lord and His cause, assembled together for the purpose of organizing a Missionary Baptist Church.

The group agreed to be known as The Second United Missionary Baptist Church of Madisonville, Ohio. The lower floor of the Old Tannery Building on Maine Street (now Madison Road) became the first place of worship under the Pastorate of Reverend Peter Waits.

In January 1889, under the leadership of Rev. W.W. Smith, a small brick church was erected on Center Street (now Desmond Street). The congregation moved into the new location with a membership of twenty-eight (28).

In 1916 Rev. Walter Jackson was called to Pastor, and served until 1921.  Under his leadership a Tabernacle was built which housed the Sunday School, social and church activities.

In 1924 Rev. Lyman H. Ingram was called to Pastor and under his leadership the membership grew, and the property at Glenshade and Chandler was secured from Andy White, who also donated one (1) lot to the church.

Under Pastor Ingram on May 17, 1925, ground was broken for the new edifice. Between 1925- 1927 the church raised more than $25,000 to cover the cost of construction.  On June 26, 1926, worship was held in the first unit of the building under the name of Trinity Second United Missionary Baptist Church. On November 29, 1927, nine members of the congregation asked for letters of dismissal from the church to form Liberty Baptist Church, which later changed its name to Greater Liberty Baptist Church. Rev. Lyman Ingram, was also the founder of the Cincinnati Theological Seminary, and served Trinity until he was called to rest in August 1929.

In 1929, Rev. L. R. Mitchell of Lima, Ohio was called to succeed Rev. Lyman and began his duties on December 30, 1929.  The second unit of the church had begun with the cornerstone laid on the third Sunday, August 1932. Rev. Mitchell resigned in 1935, and the church motioned in August 1935 that Rev. Arthur Dutton become Interim Pastor.

In April of 1936, Trinity called Rev. Martin W. Harris to be Pastor, and installed him in August 1936. Under Rev. Martin’s leadership, arrangements were made for the completion of the second unit of the church. Easter Sunday 1941, the congregation marched into the new unit. Due to illness, Rev. Harris resigned after twenty-three (23) years of service on April 30, 1959. Rev. Harris was called to rest with the Lord on August 1960.

Rev. O.C. Clay served as Interim Pastor through the remainder of 1959.  In October 1959, a church parsonage was purchased at 5315 Glenshade Court.  On November 11,1959, the church extended a call to Rev. William D. Mosley Jr. He assumed his duties January 3, 1960 and the church experienced financial and spiritual growth.

On December 8, 1967, the Articles of Incorporations for the church were amended to change the name to Trinity Missionary Baptist Church.

It was on September 20, 1970, on our 85th Church Anniversary, the Church participated in a ground breaking at Madison Road and Stewart Avenue for the construction of the Madisonville Home for the Elderly.  Trinity Missionary Baptist Church along with three (3) churches, Gaines Methodist Church, Madisonville Methodist Church, and St. Anthony R.C.  Church, each providing five-hundred dollars ($500) in order to share equally in the housing units.

Representatives of the Board of Directors for the complex included three (3) members and Pastor of each supporting church. Our representatives were Brother Paul Henry, Brother James Blathers and Sister Virginia Drane.  The 112-unit building was dedicated on May 23, 1971 and the name changed to Madison Villa.

A dream to expand the Education facilities was realized on February 24, 1974 with the dedication of the Education Building. The building consists of fourteen (14) fully furnished classrooms, a Pastor’s study and office, and Fellowship Hall. The Fellowship Hall was named the “William Douglas Mosley, Jr. Fellowship Hall”.  In 1977, Rev. Mosley submitted his resignation to assume duties as Pastor of Second Baptist Church, Warren, Ohio.

Associate Ministers Rev. Martin Clinton and Rev. Daniel Buford carried the duties of the clergy for thirteen (13) months. Another need presented itself, a parsonage for the next Pastor. A housing committee was appointed with Brother Theodore Blathers as chairperson. On October 16, 1977 the church voted to purchase a house at 501 Stoll Lane, Silverton, Ohio.

On December 19, 1977, Brother Jack Benna, Chair of the Deacon Board, and the Pulpit committee presented the name of Dr. N. Spencer Glover, Columbus, Ohio.  The church voted unanimously to extend a call to Dr. Glover who came to Trinity with extensive Pastoral experience.

On January 15, 1978, Pastor Glover preached his acceptance sermon.  That same afternoon, an Open House was held at the Parsonage where the house was dedicated to our Pastor and his family, Mrs. Joyce Glover, and son Carnie, for their new home. On April 30, 1978, Dr. N. Spencer Glover was installed as Pastor of Trinity Missionary Baptist church.

Under the leadership of Dr. Glover, the church built a Trinity Mission in Gala-phete, Haiti, a foreign mission project with a cost of $4,000. The money for the project was raised and the mission project completed. Also, under the administrative leadership of Dr. Glover, Trinity was able to burn its $92,000.00 mortgage in 1984. On September 16, 1984, Dr. William D.  Mosley, Jr., his church and choirs joined Trinity in a service of celebration.

In 1985 Trinity Missionary Baptist Church entered its second century. The theme for the Centennial was “Review, Renewal, and Rededication.”   A year long program was highlighted by a program by “The Mighty Voices of Thunder” from Detroit, Michigan, a Centennial Tea, and fellowship with Mt. Zion Baptist Church of Woodlawn.  Pastor, Dr. N. Spencer Glover submitted his resignation on July 25, 2010.

In 2010, Rev. James A. Lewis became Interim Pastor.  On March 25, 2012, Rev. Lewis was installed as Pastor of Trinity Missionary Baptist Church, and under his leadership a Praise and Worship Team, drums and a guitarist were added to the music ministry of the church. Rev. Lewis and the church bestowed the title of Pastor Emeritus on Dr. N. Spencer Glover on December 22, 2013.

In 2015, a new Minister of Music, Minister Phillip Brown came to Trinity at the request of Rev. James Lewis.  Rev. Lewis had a passion for youth and championed the church’s Scholarship Project.  Beloved Pastor James Albert Lewis passed away unexpectedly on November 8, 2018.  The church called Associate Minister, Rev. Frank D. Moore to be Interim Pastor, as the church searched for a new Shepherd.

On January 2, 2022, Sister Rachael Babatu, Chair of the Pulpit Committee, presented the name of Rev. Dwayne D. Flood, Associate Minister of Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church of Glendale, OH.  The church voted unanimously to extend a call to Rev. Flood who accepted the call on January 22, 2022 to become the next Shepherd of Trinity Missionary Baptist Church.  Rev. Flood preached his acceptance sermon on February 6, 2022 and was installed as Pastor on April 24, 2022.  Under his leadership, the church has experienced growth and a renewed focus on sharing the love of Jesus Christ that transforms the heart through faith and develops spiritual growth through the teaching of the Gospel. (Matthew 28:19-20).

On March 20, 2022, Pastor Flood and the Trinity Missionary Baptist Church Family bestowed the honorary title of Bishop on Rev. Frank D. Moore.

Trinity’s rich heritage and noble traditions have inspired several generations of men and women to lead lives with intelligence and devotion to God. We bear witness to the faithfulness of God, for truly He has established Trinity Missionary Baptist Church on a “solid rock”.

Highlights taken from the 100th Church Anniversary as presented by Church Historian, Mrs. Ruth G. Alcorn.